Monday, April 6, 2009

Getting started

For several years I sent an occasional devotional or commentary via e-mail to members of the congregation and friends who asked to receive it.  It was called MOUSE CALL (a variation of pastors making "house calls" -- an idea I got from one of Leonard Sweet's books).  I ran out of gas about a year before I retired from the pastorate.   Now that I am retired, my "tank" is pretty full.  After all, I have no more captive audiences to listen to me.  I've even sent two letters to the editor of the local newspaper which were promptly ignored.  I preached this past Sunday at the church my wife and I attend and I commented that by not preaching every week, I had more material than there was time to share it.  

I've not paid much attention to blogging, but since everyone else is clogging up cyberspace, I thought I'd add to the space junk.  This will be an outlet for my heretical views or whatever else comes to mind.  I don't know how often it will happen, but those who learn about this can check from time to time.

Now that I'm not on any church's payroll, I can venture into areas I never would have touched before.  Such as ... President Obama has been criticized quite a bit for his handling of the economy.  Some say he has absolutely no executive / administrative experience.   All that may be true, but this week's journey to Europe makes me proud that he is our President and makes me once again proud to be an American.  Newt Gingrich blasted him for showing weakness regarding North Korea and not asserting America's position of leadership in the world.  He said Obama was living in fantasyland.  But there's more than one way to lead.  You don't have to do it with arrogance or by beating others over the head.   Maybe once again the world will discover that the United States is their friend and, more often than not, is a force for good.  That's my hope.

Enough for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment