Sunday, May 17, 2009

On being LIBERAL

Liberal has become a four-letter word.  I’m not ashamed of the word and I hope that would never regard conservative as a dirty word. 

 Yesterday morning, a letter to the editor in the Sarasota Herald-Tribune lifted up the “L” word by quoting from his Random House College Dictionary definition of liberal: 

“1. Favorable to progress or reform as in religious or political affairs; 2. Pertaining to representational forms of government rather than aristocracies or monarchies; 3. Favorable to concepts of maximum individual freedom as guaranteed by law; 4. Favoring or permitting freedom of action; 5. Free from prejudice or bigotry, tolerant; 6. Open minded; 7. Characterized by generosity; 8. Not strict or rigorous.”

That same evening I attended services at a local Southern Baptist “mega-church.”  One of the points in the pastor’s sermon was that we all need to “know we don’t know.”  (To me, that’s a classic characteristic of being a liberal.  I also have to admit that my prejudice was showing because I was most surprised that he would say something like that.)

I just finished listening to the President of Notre Dame introduce the President of the United States, noting that while Notre Dame does not waffle in its beliefs about abortion, it is not afraid to talk with people who hold differing views.   He honored the President by saying that he, the President, wants to engage people who hold opposing views and was not, therefore, afraid to come to such a potentially hostile venue.

Then I listened to President Obama.   In urging a humble approach to life and life’s issues, he reminded the graduates that God is greater than any of our understandings and beliefs.

Some days it all comes together.  There was a pervasive theme to my week-end:  There’s  lots to like about liberal.

No comments:

Post a Comment