Saturday, September 25, 2010

On political campaigns

If I could wave a magic wand, I would prohibit all political advertising. Since much (most?) of advertising is deceptive -- trying to hook you to buy a product whether or not the facts are correct or you even need it). Signs with candidates' names are OK in my book -- name recognition is important, but so many political ads on TV and radio are reminiscent of the proverbial sellers of snake oil. In their place, I would have the appropriate government sponsor x number of debates. If a candidate decided not to participate, too bad! Candidates would also be free to make as many speeches before live audiences that they could. Then the electorate would have a better chance of seeing the candidate for who he or she is. I would even allow them to purchase broadcast time to make a speech, but the slick ads are over the top and incessant. I don't believe any of them and they tend to discourage people from voting, at least they discourage me.

I know, it will never happen. Free speech clause and all of that, but one can dream.

1 comment:

  1. Recent Citizens case made corporate money the constitutional equivalent of free speech, and therefore cannot be regulated. Say goodbye to real free speech in political campaigns It's now buy-an-election time without restrictions and without indictments. I didn't know you had a blog until you mentioned it on FB. I've bookmarked you and will try to catch up on your previous opinions. Been known to share some of my own, unsolicited of course. David

    ReplyDelete