Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Maturity

My wife and I attended our 50th year High School Reunion last Saturday. Fortunately, we were both in the same class so neither one of us will have to go to another one. We also went to our 20th but don't remember having a good time. This time, for whatever reason, we enjoyed ourselves. I told one of our classmates who was on the organizing committee. "I didn't like our 20th," I said, "but tonight is very different." He replied, "That's because when you're only 20 years out of high school, you have to impress everybody with all your accomplishments. When you get to your 50th, those accomplishments don't count for much. You are much freer to be yourself."
His comment made a lot of sense to me. "Free to be yourself." That's a good definition of what it means to be a mature person.

No comments:

Post a Comment