Thursday, October 28, 2010

Taxes

Let me be clear at the outset -- I don't want to pay anymore tax than required; I believe there are many inequities in our tax system (I read somewhere that Warren Buffet's secretary pays a higher rate of taxes than he does); I hate it when I learn of tax money being wasted or squandered; I think the IRS often oversteps its bounds in dealing with people who are, or seem to be, delinquent in paying their taxes.

I have to wonder, however, why Americans whine so much about paying too many taxes. If we're so overtaxed, why do Americans continue to have such a high standard of living? Why do so many people have so much discretionary income left over for pricey things (just read that profits for Royal Caribbean Cruise line are up 55%). I like to dine in nice restaurants and it never ceases to amaze me how many other people do as well. The wait is sometimes long. Granted, a LOT of people are hurting financially and a lot of businesses as well, but then there is how the other half lives -- probably the same half that complains about taxes.

I remember reading a book while in seminary (but I don't remember the title; cut me some slack, it was over 40 years ago!) that likened taxation to a form of stewardship, that is paying a portion of what God has already given us to support the common good. Call me naive, but that still makes sense to me.

All of this is preface to sharing a quote by Tony Judt found in the October 19, 2010 issue of Christian Century:

"Why are we so sure that some planning, or progressive taxation, or the collective ownership of public goods, are intolerable restrictions on liberty; whereas close-circuit television cameras, state bailouts for investment banks 'too big to fail,' tapped telephones, and expensive foreign wars are acceptable burdens for a free people to bear?"

Why, indeed! I'm glad when April 15 comes around that I have taxes to pay. The alternative (either no system for the common good, or having no income on which to be taxed) is not a pleasant thought. The only tea parties I ever liked were in the attic of our house when our children were small.

No comments:

Post a Comment